This is your birth, your body, your future: the options you are given are your choices to make.
I wish to be there for you, to offer the support you feel you need, so you feel better informed and reassured following your own lilfe's journey.
This Doula Does...
• Meet, say hello and get to know
A get to know each other meet-up in a café. Feeling you connect and trust in those you are sharing this path with is essential. If it doesn't feel right, that's Ok, we all have our own personalities and feelings, trusting intuitive sensations regarding compatibility is important. I will happily let you know about other doulas who you may find a closer connection with or who may be able to offer the support you are looking for.
• Offer Fertility and Pregnancy support
We can have a number of sessions where I will listen carefully to any questions or concerns you may have. We will discuss options, I will share contacts and resources and we can talk about pain relief approaches as you become clearer your pathway towards the birth you wish for.
• Accompany you at antenatal appointments
The doctor knows what they are talking about, but a lot of new information can leave you feeling overwhelmed. Having another pair of ears can be helpful, especially if the discussion is not in your native language or if your partner is unavailable.
• Accompany you during labour and birth
I can offer a continuous presence during your birth (by video/call/sms if circumstances are restrictive). I will be readily available for the two weeks before and after the estimated arrival of your baby.
I will aim to be with you within the shortest delay possible once you have your midwife's support and to offer my personal continuous support through labour to the first couple of hours of baby's new life.
If your partner is also present we will be able to co-ordinate to ensure that someone you know personally is always with you and the other birth companion can also get their biological needs met, especially during longer periods of time. This will ensure that they recharge and will be ready to meet your needs more fully.
Being "on call" is a big commitment and means that my personal life is carefully orchestrated so that I am always at a reasonable distance to your chosen place of birth and that I am prepared and available to join you at any time of night or day, having made sure my own family considerations are taken care of appropriately.
• Has fabulous doulas as back-up support
I am part of a team of back up doulas who may be able to offer you support, if you wish, if for some reason I am unavailable when you need me.
• Early parenthood support and visits
I am available 3 days after birth, then to connect weekly for the next five weeks to offer any ongoing support, resources or contacts as needed during early parenthood. This can include gentle rebozo massage to help give your body a little time to feel cared for and for your mind to have a little time to settle.
As your Doula I can:
• Help you navigate local healthcare services. I offer verified links to unbiased information from respected organisations and professionals, helping birthers become fully informed about the various choices, rights and options so you can decide what is best in your circumstances.
• Find ways to help you feel more comfortable in labour and during birth: co-regulating breathing, "dreambirth" visualisations, hypnobirthing, movement, acupressure, massage and Rebozo techniques for relaxation and channeling energy.
• Respect and support the partner’s participation during pregnancy, birth and parenthood. Many of the above techniques can be used by your partner with wonderful results as you share and grow your own story (I can happily step out whenever requested!).
Your partner's intimate knowledge of you can help encourage a deeper sense of relaxation, and they are able to help boost oxytocin levels via humour and affection in ways that no other member of the birth team can ever do!
• Support you continuously if you have no partner, so you know there's somebody there for you throughout, that you won't be left feeling alone at any time.
• Connect you to local parenting groups, organisations and professionals regarding conception, miscarriage, nutrition, pregnancy and postnatal fitness and well-being, feeding support, community support, mental health and grief or infant loss support.
There are also lots of fun things you can do with your baby to encourage your bonding and mix with other mums in safe and respectful environments: baby massage, baby sign language, baby-carrying techniques, baby swimming and park and café meet ups with other parents, also sharing your journey into parenthood.
- Simply listen and offer warm-hearted reassurance as you navigate the changes and challenges of parenthood.
This Doula does not...
- Have all the answers...
- Know exactly what you should do in your circumstances...
- Tell you what is best for you...
- Give medical advice...
- See into the future...
- Change the past...
This doula is human and compassionately sees all others as humans too...
The most extraordinary journey of your life is the creation of new life.
I am offering my help to couples to help make this as smooth and fulfilling as possible.
Every journey is unique with once-in-a-lifetime challenges and I will do everything I can to help you and your partner find your way.
Dealing with healthcare systems and professionals in other countries, maybe speaking another language, can add immensely to feelings of uncertainty and insecurity.
As giving birth is a process not dictated by timetables, you may experience changes of healthcare personnel during your pregnancy and birth. I believe that continual support, according to the mother's wishes, allows women to have a source of strength to help them regulate their emotional and physical needs, empowering them to own their birth experience, whatever happens.
The most humbling experience can be holding space for those facing challenging life experiences such as separation, loss, dealing with illness and death. I am open to supporting in what way I can.
I'm always working on something and coming up with ideas. I feel that a community is one of the most important things to be a part of, we are social beings.
I have found an international home as a friend and volunteer with the European Doula Network. In my year in Paris I connected with a strong local doula community and also attended the Ethics and Positioning training of Doulas de France.
I have become deeply involved in the Doula Solidarity and Support movement to help support doulas supporting refugee women.
In Versailles I formed and facilitated The Positive Birth Movement group, which met every month to chat about birth. These are woman-to-woman peer groups which encourage open and non-judgemental discussion focusing on birthing topics.
In the future I'd like to have the honour of holding an English-speaking Red Tent: a women's circle where women come together to share experiences and moments of their lives in deep trust.
I have always loved to capture those special moments in life in the most natural way possible.
Whether you wish to preserve memories of your pregnancy, your baby's birth journey into this world or your new baby who is transforming in front of your very eyes, I will endeavour to capture those unforgettable moments.
The photos on this website are my own work.
Often the baby decides!